Friday, August 15, 2014

1st All Grain Brew

Having done six or seven Brewers Best kit beers, I now really want to get into whole grain brewing and Sunday will be the big day.  Fellow beer experimenter Dan McCarthy and I are going to do a two gallon Black IPA.

Yesterday we went to the Local Home Brew Store (MYLHBS.com) to pick up the ingredients.  I knew they had recipes there, so I figured we could just pick out a Black IPA recipe.  That was hopefully the biggest mistake we will make.  The recipes they had were only five gallon and included liquid extract, which we are specifically avoiding since I want to do whole grain.

Paul, the store guy, pointed us to a small batch recipe book that they let people use to buy things.  We picked an IPA and Paul modified it so that it would be more of a Black IPA.  On the car ride back, we debated whether Paul was very knowledgable or just very confident.  If we have a good beer, we will definitely credit him.  However, since we've never done this process before, if it is bad, it could just be our fault, so no blaming him.

While I have a 5 gallon bucket, he said that would be too big to ferment a two gallon batch.  Too much headspace and too much air that could contaminate the beer.  I have one gallon jugs as well, but we would need to use three of those and tie them up for a while.  So since I am a sucker for new equipment, even though I have no where to put it, I bought a 3 gallon glass container.  When I do one gallon batches, I will set up a blow off tube system.

Here is a simply amazing picture of grain going in the grinder, along with the proud grain owners:









Our ingredients are:

2oz Med Chocolate Malt (350L)
2 oz Wyermann Carafa Special Type 2 Roasted Malt (375-450L)
6.4 oz Caramel Crystal Malt (20L)
3.2 oz Victory Malt (25L)
3.2 oz Dark Munich Malt (20L)
4 Lbs of Muntons Pale Ale Malt, Mild Malty (1.25-1.35L)

.2 oz Columbus hops
1 oz Cascade hops, divided into fifths

Safale US-05 Yeast.






No comments:

Post a Comment